[Spitzer News] Spitzer Captures Stellar Coming of Age in Our Galaxy

spitzer-news at lists.ipac.caltech.edu spitzer-news at lists.ipac.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 3 12:38:05 PDT 2008

In this issue:

1) Spitzer Captures Stellar Coming of Age in Our Galaxy
2) Two of the Milky Way's Spiral Arms Go Missing

-----------------------------

SPITZER CAPTURES STELLAR COMING OF AGE IN OUR GALAXY

More than 800,000 snapshots from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope have
been stitched together to create a new "coming of age" portrait of
stars in our inner Milky Way galaxy.

The image depicts an area of sky 120 degrees wide by two degrees
tall. It was unveiled today at the 212th meeting of the American
Astronomical Society in St. Louis, Mo.

"This is the highest-resolution, largest, most sensitive infrared
picture ever taken of our Milky Way," said Sean Carey of NASA's
Spitzer Science Center at the California Institute of Technology,
Pasadena, Calif. Carey is lead investigator for one of two teams
responsible for the new picture. "Where previous surveys saw a single
source of light, we now see a cluster of stars. With this data, we
can learn how massive stars form, map galactic spiral arms and make a
better estimate of our galaxy's star-formation rate," Carey explained.

"I suspect that Spitzer's view of the galaxy is the best that we'll
have for the foreseeable future. There is currently no mission
planned that has both a wide field of view and the sensitivity needed
to probe the Milky Way at these infrared wavelengths," said Barbara
Whitney of the Space Science Institute, Madison, Wis. Whitney is a
member of the second astronomy team.

Because Earth sits inside our dusty, flat, disk-shaped Milky Way, we
have an edge-on view of our galactic home. We see the Milky Way as a
blurry, narrow band of light that stretches almost completely across
the sky. With Spitzer's dust-piercing infrared eyes, astronomers
peered 60,000 light-years away into this fuzzy band, called the
galactic plane, and saw all the way to the other side of the galaxy.

The result is a cosmic tapestry depicting an epic coming-of-age tale
for stars. Areas hosting stellar embryos are identified by swaths of
green, which are organic molecules, called polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbons, illuminated by light from nearby newborn stars. On
Earth, these molecules are found in automobile exhaust and charred
barbeque grills, essentially anywhere carbon molecules are burned
incompletely.

The regions where young stars reside are revealed as "bubbles," or
curved ridges in the green clouds. These bubbles are carved by the
winds from young starlets blowing away their natal dust. The starlets
appear as yellow and red dots, and the wisps of red that fill most
bubbles are composed of graphite dust particles, similar to very
small pieces of pencil lead.

Blue specks sprinkled throughout the photograph are individual older
Milky Way stars. The bluish-white haze that hovers heavily in the
middle two panels is starlight from the galaxy's older stellar
population. A deep, careful examination of the image also shows the
dusty remnants of dying and dead stars as translucent orange spheres.

"With these Spitzer data, we've been able to catalogue more than 100
million stars," said Edward Churchwell of the University of
Wisconsin, at Madison. Churchwell is principal investigator of one of
the teams.

"This picture shows us that our Milky Way galaxy is a crowded and
dynamic place. We have a lot to learn. I've definitely found a lot of
things in this map that I didn't expect to see," said Carey.

This infrared composite incorporates observations from two Spitzer
instruments. Data from the infrared array camera were collected and
processed by The Galactic Legacy Infrared Mid-Plane Survey
Extraordinaire team, led by Churchwell. The Multiband Imaging
Photometer for Spitzer Galactic Plane Survey Legacy team, led by
Carey, processed observations from Spitzer's multiband imaging
photometer. Blue represents 3.6-micron light, green shows light of 8
microns and red is 24-micron light.

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., manages the
Spitzer Space Telescope mission for NASA's Science Mission
Directorate, Washington. Science operations are conducted at the
Spitzer Science Center at the California Institute of Technology,
also in Pasadena. Caltech manages JPL for NASA.

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/Media/releases/ssc2008-11/release.shtml

-----------------------------

TWO OF THE MILKY WAY'S SPIRAL ARMS GO MISSING

For decades, astronomers have been blind to what our galaxy, the
Milky Way, really looks like. After all, we sit in the midst of it
and can't step outside for a bird's eye view.

Now, new images from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope are shedding
light on the true structure of the Milky Way, revealing that it has
just two major arms of stars instead of the four it was previously
thought to possess.

"Spitzer has provided us with a starting point for rethinking the
structure of the Milky Way," said Robert Benjamin of the University
of Wisconsin, Whitewater, who presented the new results at a press
conference today at the 212th meeting of the American Astronomical
Society in St. Louis, Mo. "We will keep revising our picture in the
same way that early explorers sailing around the globe had to keep
revising their maps."

Since the 1950s, astronomers have produced maps of the Milky Way. The
early models were based on radio observations of gas in the galaxy,
and suggested a spiral structure with four major star-forming arms,
called Norma, Scutum-Centaurus, Sagittarius and Perseus. In addition
to arms, there are bands of gas and dust in the central part of the
galaxy. Our sun lies near a small, partial arm called the Orion Arm,
or Orion Spur, located between the Sagittarius and Perseus arms.

"For years, people created maps of the whole galaxy based on studying
just one section of it, or using only one method," said Benjamin.
"Unfortunately, when the models from various groups were compared,
they didn't always agree. It's a bit like studying an elephant blind-
folded."

Large infrared sky surveys in the 1990s led to some major revisions
of these models, including the discovery of a large bar of stars in
the middle of the Milky Way. Infrared light can penetrate through
dust, so telescopes designed to pick up infrared light get better
views of our dusty and crowded galactic center. In 2005, Benjamin and
his colleagues used Spitzer's infrared detectors to obtain detailed
information about our galaxy's bar, and found that it extends farther
out from the center of the galaxy than previously thought.

The team of scientists now has new infrared imagery from Spitzer of
an expansive swath of the Milky Way, stretching 130 degrees across
the sky and one degree above and below the galaxy's mid-plane. This
extensive mosaic combines 800,000 snapshots and includes over 110
million stars.

Benjamin developed software that counts the stars, measuring stellar
densities. When he and his teammates counted stars in the direction
of the Scutum-Centaurus Arm, they noticed an increase in their
numbers, as would be expected for a spiral arm. But, when they looked
in the direction where they expected to see the Sagittarius and Norma
arms, there was no jump in the number of stars. The fourth arm,
Perseus, wraps around the outer portion of our galaxy and cannot be
seen in the new Spitzer images.

The findings make the case that the Milky Way has two major spiral
arms, a common structure for galaxies with bars. These major arms,
the Scutum-Centaurus and Perseus arms, have the greatest densities of
both young, bright stars, and older, so-called red-giant stars. The
two minor arms, Sagittarius and Norma, are filled with gas and
pockets of young stars. Benjamin said the two major arms seem to
connect up nicely with the near and far ends of the galaxy's central
bar.

"Now, we can fit the arms together with the bar, like pieces of a
puzzle," said Benjamin, "and, we can map the structure, position and
width of these arms for the first time." Previous infrared
observations found hints of a two-armed Milky Way, but those results
were unclear because the position and width of the arms were unknown.

Though galaxy arms appear to be intact features, stars are actually
constantly moving in and out of them as they orbit the center of the
Milky Way, like London commuters in a busy traffic circle. Our own
sun might have once resided in a different arm. Since it was formed
more than 4 billion years ago, it has traveled around the galaxy 16
times.

Co-investigators of this research include Ed Churchwell, Marilyn
Meade and Brian Babler of the University of Wisconsin, Madison;
Barbara Whitney of the Space Science Institute, Madison, Wis.; Rémy
Indebetouw of the University of Virginia, Charlottesville; and
Christer Watson of Manchester College, Ind. NASA's Jet Propulsion
Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., manages the Spitzer mission for NASA's
Science Mission Directorate, Washington. Science operations occur at
the Spitzer Science Center at the California Institute of Technology,
also in Pasadena.

http://www.spitzer.caltech.edu/Media/releases/ssc2008-10/release.shtml